Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Washing Eggs


I have to admit that before we got chickens I always assumed that the eggs are cleans no matter what. Well I was wrong. Most of the eggs are pretty clean but sometimes those hens like to lay in weird places or sometimes an eggs cracks and gets yolk on other eggs or sometimes  I don't even know how they get dirty.
Anyway I have read about using egg washes that they have on the market but I don't know anybody who have used them or if I want to use them . Me I use plain water and a little elbow grease. First I wet the eggs let them sink in the sink for a couple of minutes and rinse them off will using my nail to thumb lightly to remove the dirt. I find that just getting them wet and letting them soak loosens the dirt and except for the stubborn ones that needs to be wet again, sit for couple minutes, rinse and the process repeated. But you can't beat the taste of a fresh egg compared to those store bought ones, yuck! What are your methods for removing the dirty off the eggs or have your tried the egg wash?

8 comments:

  1. Watery dish liquid soap can be used to wash your eggs too :-) I usually let my fresh eggs sit on the counter for a day before washing them to harden the shell so that bacteria and soap will not penetrate the "setting shell". Be sure to rinse the gently soaped eggs well before drying and storing.

    ~Val

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wwhen we get our duty eggs from the farm we jsut scrubb them clean. I use a scrub brush and water others use dish soap or hand soap. As soon as we wash them we use them. Drop in and let me know if this was of any use too you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We use pine shavings in our nesting box's, it seems to almost be like cat litter when the chickens get it dirty with mud, or chicken poo, etc. I just boil my eggs that are super dirty, but if they arent to bad I use a little sanding block and dry clean them.. I sand the dirty spots.. I think I will do a post on this to explain it better.. It works really good:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thats a good idea and I may have to try it. Thanks!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I use pine shavings in my boxes, which normally keeps them very clean. There's just those rare "pooped on" eggs or whatever. But I've done a lot of research that says you should NOT get them wet unless you are using them right then because bacteria will get in. So, if we do get dirty ones, we just wipe it with a dry paper towel, and if that doesn't work, then when we crack that specific egg, we wash it right before.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was just on the barn hop for this week..maybe #13 at Homestead Revival. A blogger has a post about how to clean eggs. Really good idea and topic. You should go over and read it. It is titled cleaning your eggs. Blessings from Wisconsin

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thaanks Dicky Bird I will have to check that out

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from my readers. Thanks for leaving a comment! :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...