Saturday, May 21, 2011

First Ever Made From Scratch Pie


I just baked from first every made from scratch pie. I have to admit I was always intimidated about making the crust so I always bought the ones in the refrigerator section. This weekend I decided I would take on the challenge and make it myself.
After I started make the crust I realized I don't even know why I was so worried in the first place. It was easy to mix the ingredients together for the crust however I did have a problem really rolling it into a circle but no worries. The filling was made from peaches I picked last year and made into peach pie filling and froze. I used the crust recipe from the Betty Crocker cookbook and the filling recipe was from the Ball canning book. The pie was delicious!! My husband finished off the pie within 3 days and he's not a person that really likes pie but he requested I make more pies with the homemade crust from now on. I told him don't worry there will be more homemade pies. One of my goals is to still make sweets but making them either healthier nutrition wise or at least from scratch so we not consuming all the processed food.

I would have to say that I was so proud of this pie when I pulled it out of the oven!!

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful Pie!!!! I feel like such a domestic goddess when I make pretty pies like that...
    Here is another recipe for homemade crust...
    5Cups flour
    2Cups butter
    1T vinegar
    1 egg
    water

    Cut the flour and butter together til crumbs
    in a 1C measuring cup beat the egg,add the vinegar and fill to one cup mark with cold water.
    slowy add the liquid to the crumb mixing with a fork until it becomes dough. seperate into 5 disks ad chill.
    I like this because it makes five crusts and I can freeze what I don't need for later use. It is very flaky and elastic, a no fail crust!
    I hope you don't mind my sharing.
    Congrats on the pie it really is pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much!! I appreciate you sharing the recipe I'm definitely going to try it :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I forgot to mntion that I use salted butter so I don't add salt. If you need to add salt about 1/2t. I use this same recipe when I make apple dumplings only I add 2T sugar to sweeten the dough.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from my readers. Thanks for leaving a comment! :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...